Monday, August 30, 2010

Bar Agricole, SoMa, SF.

After MUCH anticipation and months of staking it out as our new office lunch spot (SF Station is right around the corner), Bar Agricole finally opened! Very exciting!

The space is great. A lot larger than it seems from outside (I feel like this is very SF), and very rustic-modern. The menu on the other hand.. While the actual design of it is fabulous, it reads a bit strangely. From everything I've read and from how they are presenting their chef (Brandon Jew), it seems like Bar Agricole is a bar/restaurant. That said, the menu is odd. It wasn't presented as a tapas place, but the menu seems incomplete for a normal restaurant. The line breaks + prices don't present a clear meaning either.

That all said, the food is great! Haha. But, with the exception of a couple dishes on the menu, none of the plates were full meals on their own.

Cheese plate 15

Our server (who was very sweet) said there would be crisp apples with this! There were no apples. I wanted apples. :( Both the bread and cheeses were very nice though. There was a camembert and two goats' milk cheeses. The plate could definitely use more bread, or fruit though.

Chopped liver on toast 8

I don't normally like pate, but this was SOO good. Apparently it isn't a traditional pate because it's technically "chopped liver", but it sure looked like pate and was definitely a spread.. ;)

Roasted peppers with napatella 13

These were lovely, but I wouldn't say they were anything extraordinary.

Grilled eggplant & farro with basil 11

This was pretty yummy. I just really love eggplant though. Haha. I didn't really taste the basil, but it was a nice, unique way of serving eggplant.

Mussels with pork sausage and pea greens 16

This would be the only plate that I would consider to be a full meal on it's own. Still, I never understand when people order a big bowl of mussels as their whole meal! Haha. They were very yummy though.

Blueberry shortcake with lemon verbena cream 8

This was yummy. It wasn't a shortcake though. Shortcake with fruit and cream is my favorite dessert and this definitely wasn't a shortcake. It lacked the crumble that I hoped for. although the plump blueberries were nice, I think wild blueberries would have brought in more flavor. Their cream is amazing though!

Pluot upside-down cake 8

This was my favorite dish of the evening. The cake was moist and buttery and just perfect with their light, yet flavorful cream and wild blackberries! Mmmmm!

After writing this, I feel like it was a negative review, but it really wasn't. The drinks were great, the food was great--the menu was just a bit odd. I don't know that I'd go for a full meal, but I'd certainly go back for drinks and dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment