Thursday, September 2, 2010

Disappointing dinner at Sons & Daughters, Union Square, SF.

Trinh and I had both been wanting to try Sons & Daughters for awhile now. I hadn't really heard anything about it, but had been by a couple of times. We decided to go after attempting to hit up the First Thursday Art Walk at 49 Geary--most of the galleries were closed because of Labor Day. :(

Back to S&D--what a darling space! I really love what they've done with it.. Sadly, the space is a lot cuter than the food is good. :(

The menu looked great though.

Love this water jug! I think it's great to leave a nice thing of water on the table--I realize it doesn't work for every table setting, but there's really nothing worse than having to wait for water!

Housemade sweet roll with black salt. The bread was soft and lovely. I loved the salt, but could have used a little more salt with the butter.

Amuse Bouche: cucumber something with a caviared something else! Hah! I never quite catch what the amuse is! S&D's big thing is caviaring things and making these cool little balls! It's neat and fun. This amuse wasn't the most flavorful, but had a nice, cool taste.

Sweetbreads Lobster salad Garbanzo bean Baby greens Dijon 18


This was just okay. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. The dijon was foamed, which took away from the sharp flavor you think of when you hear "dijon". I really didn't taste any dijon at all, actually.

Squab breast Confit leg Chanterelle mushrooms Jus 22


The squab was cooked nicely, but the cuts were odd, difficult to eat, and not that flavorful. the mushrooms were nice, but, overall, the plate was lacking flavor and substance.

The sweet amuse bouche. This was nice. This and the bread were probably the best parts of the meal.

Needless to say, I was disappointed with Sons & Daughters. It's such a great space and Union Square has desperately needed such a restaurant, but the food just wasn't there. That all said, I am glad I tried it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment