Saturday, July 31, 2010

Korean groceries at Kukje Super Market (국제 마켓), Daly City, CA.

Yay Kukje (pronounced gook-jeh)! This is the largest Korean grocery I've found in the SF Bay Area. The stores in SF proper are pretty small, this place has a nice cold deli section with lots of packaged ban-chan (Korean side dishes).

New (to me?) bottled makgeolli, pronounced mahk-gul-lee (막걸리)! I've never seen these before! This is so crazy because mak-gul-lee is a very traditional Korean rice alcohol that's always served in a large ceramic carafe or bowl. It's usually more milky, too! I guess since soju is a big hit, they are trying to market this, too though. I didn't get any on this trip, but will have to try one sometime.

Italians have their olive oil, we have our sesame oil. :)

I don't get the chance to come out here very often so it was a nice treat--thanks for the ride Joe! I'm SO excited to make some slammin' Korean dishes in the next few days!


No comments:

Post a Comment