Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday morning grapefruit lemonade.

3 lemons from my brother's backyard in LA. Roll them to make them easier to juice.

Slice down the middle.

And juice! This photo is of the juice of one lemon. I used a strainer when I poured the juice into a bowl, to catch the seeds.

One grapefruit, also rolled.

And sliced! Grapefruits are so beautiful.

I combined the lemon juice and grapefruit juice in a bowl. I decided to keep the grapefruit pulp because, well, I love pulp. I would have kept the lemon pulp, too, but there are so many lemon seeds to fish out.

So it goes 1 juice : 1 sugar : 1 water. I poured the juice in and got 1.5 cups.

Thus, for the simple syrup, I used 1.5 cup of sugar and 1.5 cups of water. Heated, not until boiled, but just until the sugar was completely dissolved.

Pour juice into pitcher, and then the simple syrup.

Add water until you get your desired sweetness. Typically, it's about 3-5 cups. I added 4 cups, but may add more.

Couple of ice cubes and pour! By the way, every drink tastes better in a mason jar. :) And pay not attention to my chipped nail polish. ;)

Soo good. Not too lemony, but more like a light, sweet grapefruit juice--just what I was going for. :) Grapefruit juice is my favorite. Of course you could juice more lemons to give it more balance. It was a bit too sweet for me, though so I think I'll add a bit more water to the pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment