Thursday, May 27, 2010

Third time's a semi-charm, Stone Korean, Embarcadero Center, SF.

Banchan. A little weak. I feel like they should be more consistent with their banchan portions. Sometimes you'll go and get 7 side dishes and sometimes 3. It's good for a Korean restaurant to change up the banchan, but still good to have a lot.

Stone wings. The wings changed? I liked these more than last time though, but again, it's confusing to not be consistent. Hopefully this is a change that sticks and doesn't change again!

Pork and Kimchee sandwich. Okay, so the first time I dined here, I tried the entrees and was disappointed. The next time I came back to try the happy hour menu and that was fine. This time I came to try one of the sandwiches! I keep coming back because I really want to like this place! I feel like it has potential.

So, okay, let me just say my dad has been making us Korean sandwiches since I was kid so I'm kind of a self-proclaimed expert. :) This sandwich didn't cut it for me. The bread was boring--bland, dry, didn't add anything and made me want to eat the pork and kimchee with rice. I feel like a nice, buttery, toasted artisan bread would be perfect. And some veggies--it was just pork and kimchee, and not even the best pork and kimchee so yeah.. not my favorite.

The bibimbap was nice. I like the veggies they use, but I think it's completely silly that you have to pay $1 extra for an egg on top, when it is standard with the dish. Also, they don't put enough rice in it--some people might like that, but I don't. Taste wise, it's fine, but it's meant to have a certain rice : everything else ratio.

I'm VERY happy to report that we had a friendly waitress though! I think she maybe worked sales or retail before because she tried to get us to order a million things, which I didn't really like, but she was at least nicer than the previous wait staff. And I don't mean she suggested things saying they were really good, she REALLY tried to get us to over order. It was strange. We didn't though and it worked out nicely. We shared the above three dishes among three people and we were all very satisfied after. But yes, yay for better service!


No comments:

Post a Comment